When Tech Meets Project-Based Learning
June 23, 2016
By: Betsy Corcoran
Almost 20 years ago, when Paul Curtis was a social studies teacher at the just-opened New Technology High School in Napa, Calif., there wasn’t much “tech” to support project-based learning. “We didn’t even give the kids email addresses back then,” he chuckles.
Even now, Curtis, Director of Curriculum for the New Tech Network, is confident that project-based learning can happen without much technology. But use it right, he adds, and technology can change the “tone” of the classroom in powerful ways. “It asks teachers to give up ‘the script’ for the classroom,” he says.
Curtis sees technology shaping project-based learning in multiple ways. First technology can fuel students’ curiosity and put them in charge of learning and exploration. Next: technology can provide teachers a construct or scaffolding for doing project-based work. A well-built learning management system, Curtis says, is an essential tool for helping teachers structure classroom time and manage work. (New Tech Network has been fine-tuning an LMS, Curtis confides. Expect to hear more about the work soon, he promises.)
Finally, Curtis’ third level of technology for supporting PBL involves wielding software tools that enable students to learn at home in a flipped classroom model—then use classroom time for collaboration and “more robust thinking,” he says. “You can’t start with the canned curriculum.” Instead he looks for content tools that support teacher—and student choice.
“The best curriculum comes from the passions of teachers and students,” Curtis says. “And the best way to improve student performance is to improve the capability of teachers. So we’re looking for tools that enhance, not replace the teachers.”
At last week’s PBL World conference in Napa, EdSurge’s Tech for Schools Ed Leader Workshop surfaced 14 tools aimed at supporting teachers and students engaged in project-based learning. Here they are (and their uses):
- ADVANCEfeedback: A virtual coaching platform that uses video to support high-quality feedback and PD through observation, coaching and calibration. Professional growth; Communications tool
- CraftED Curriculum: A marketplace of teaching strategies and lessons aligned to Hewlett’s Deeper Learning Competencies, CCSS and NGSS. Curriculum tool; Professional growth
- Ed Leadership Simulations: Simulations of tough, real-world experiences that school leaders encounter, aimed at improving decision making and building resilience.Professional Growth; Communication tool
- FlexTime Manager: Students can use software to customize part of their daily schedule everyday; teachers and administrators can manage activities including remediation scheduling. Communication tool
- Kyte Learning: Digital library of edtech professional development videos created by teachers. Professional growth; Communication tool
- Mathalicious: Real-world lessons that support inquiry-based teaching and challenge students to think critically about the world. Curriculum tool
- Novare PBL Platform: Uses projects, narratives, portfolios, and learning goals to develop authentic, student-based assessments focused on deeper learning.Project management tool; Assessment
- PaGamO: An online social gaming platform that enables teachers to gamify lessons. Supports learning in all subjects and grade levels. Curriculum tool; Assessment
- Piper: A computer kit that enables students to build genuine electronic circuits and learn about computers through Minecraft. Curriculum tool
- QUIO Learning Map: Provides a visual learning map of student learning. Adaptable to K-12, inclusive learning and adult ESL context. Assessment
- scrible Edu: Rich research/writing tool that enables students to save and annotate web pages and share research. Analytics give teachers visibility into student work. Curriculum tool; Communication tool
- Think Through Math: Rigorous adaptive math tutorial curriculum, based on cognitive tutoring research led by the US Air Force. Curriculum tool; Assessment
- Torsh TALENT: Video-based online community and data platform that enables observation, feedback and coaching to improve teacher effectiveness. Professional growth; Communication tool
- Waggle: Adaptive, common-core aligned practice and assessment environment for students in grades 2-8 working on math and English skills. Curriculum tool; Assessment